If you don’t like something change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. – Maya Angelou
I was on Facebook a few days ago and I posted a positive quote, a woman responded saying thank you so much and that she really needed to hear that, especially that day. When I read the comment, It hit me harder that particular day because I was actually not having the best day myself, but I realized that it didn’t stop me from trying to spread positivity to other women entrepreneurs. I get comments and private messages like that frequently, when I post a quote, write a blog or I am speaking to a group. That is what prompted me to write about this today. What if I shut down and never reached out to help anybody when I was having a crappy day? I always tell myself that if I can at least touch one person a day and make a positive difference in their lives in some way, it’s not about me or how I feel, I have to keep doing it regardless of what I have happening in my life.
We have all experienced one of those bad days, sometimes bad weeks. It feels like nothing seems to be going right, no matter how hard you try. You lose a client, you get a nasty phone call, you are arguing with your spouse, a family member or your children are sick. There are so many challenges that can be thrown at us, then out of nowhere we get blindsided. While it is o.k. to have a bad day, we are all human, but you cannot unpack and live there all week. Trust me, I have been there many times myself. I just wanted to roll up in a ball and lay on the couch and forget about the world and have my own private pity party.
Most of us can experience certain negative events and dismiss them. But when negative events seem to happen simultaneously – as they often do – they feel suffocating and impossible to overcome at that time. This is when thoughts of giving in to that feeling of helplessness has to stop. This is the exact moment where you have to control the way you respond to your circumstances. It is imperative that you get yourself to refocus on where you are going, not where you are that given day or week.
Here are 6 quick and easy things you can do to change your mindset so you can conquer a bad day:
- Embrace the day – It is what it is. You can’t change it at the moment, but you can change how you react to it. Accept where you are and how you are feeling. The days you feel great and you go do something aren’t the days you necessarily grow and get better. It’s the bad day when you do not feel like going and doing it, but you do it anyway, that helps you get better.
- Overcome negative energy – When you are having a bad day there is a lot of negativity in your mind. It is so important to get positive thoughts in so you can get negative thoughts out. Read a positive book, watch a positive personal development movie, listen to uplifting music and dance around the house. Feed your brain until you start to feel it.
- Reach out and help someone – When you feel low and overwhelmed, I am sure you know someone else that is out there having an even worse day than you are. Reach out and help hem. Make them smile. You will not only be doing a good deed, it will make you feel so much better in the process.
- Do not believe everything you think – Don’t make a bad situation seem worse than it is by thinking about everything that has gone wrong. You are only creating more negativity and that only makes it worse. Instead, make a list of everything that has gone right. Write down as many things that you are grateful for. If it helps you, make a point to meditate first to slow down the negative thoughts that are flooding your brain.
- You are not stuck forever – Tell yourself this situation is temporary. As soon as you are ready to take responsibility and embrace it you will be ready to move forward. You can make a change whenever you make the decision to. You have the power to change your circumstances.
- The grass is not greener – Whenever I am having a not so great day, or week, I remind myself there is someone out there who would love to trade places with me and live through my bad day. There are plenty of people out there that are having a much worse situation they have to work through, and your bad day would be a walk in the park in comparison to what they have going on. Who in your life had some bad situations come up for them recently? Would you switch with them? That puts things into perspective pretty quickly when you think about it that way.
- Call a friend that understands you – What person can you call that will always talk you through it, they always seem to help you see it as it really is? Sometimes we need a reality check to make us realize it’s not that bad. We all have some people in our lives that will always talk us off the ledge when we reach out and tell them whats happening. Please make sure you avoid the people who love to make you feel like it’s all your fault, and tell you that in some way you deserve it. We all have those people in our lives also, unfortunately.
Feeling down, insecure, even lost sometimes is part of your journey. It can’t be avoided. Attitude is everything, how you react to it is all completely in your control. Letting our circumstances consume us can lead to a false view of our life experience. Ask yourself, Is it a ‘bad day’, or is it just a really bad 5 minutes that you are milking all day? Remember, the enemy of action is our thoughts.
I want you to take a deep breath and tell yourself that you are a badass and that you have your own back! If you say it out loud a few times it would be even more powerful. Evaluate what you can learn from the situation so you can grow. Personally, I know that bad days generally lead to really interesting stories someday. Remember that a bad day is normal, just don’t get stuck there. The days to follow have to be better ones. Think about it ladies, if you are still here you have already survived 100% of your bad days so far. The days to follow have to be better ones, so just take a few deep breaths and follow these tips to get through it. Put on that life vest and jump in, just keep swimming.
“I think every girl needs to love herself, regardless of anything. Like if you are having a bad day, if you don’t like your hair, if you don’t have the best family situation, whatever, you have to love yourself and you can’t do anything until you love yourself first.” – Julianne Hough
If you have any questions or could use some help to get started reach out to me HERE