.Age is all about how you look at it. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you have a great attitude towards growing older and embrace it instead of worrying about it and dreading it you will be able to enjoy the journey. I read recently that research showed that only 25% of our genes are responsible for visible signs of aging. Most of us have preconceived notions about what getting older looks like.
When I hear the word grandma I think of a small lady in a house dress cooking everyone dinner. That was my grandmother. I loved her dearly but I have issues with being called grandma because of that visual I have created for myself. The truth is that if we take care of our health, our minds and our overall appearance and hang around other people, young and old, who have goals and energy then we will look and feel better too. Take the word ‘crisis’ away from the word mid-life ‘crisis’. The second half of your life can be the best part of your life.
Here are 20 things you can do that can help you to enjoy the aging process and make the second half of your life as exciting as can be:
- Get your financial life in order. Your will, insurance policies, retirement statements and estate planning should all be done. Know where all your paperwork and documents are.
- Live in gratitude. Be thankful for what you have, look forward to what is still to come.
- Drink a protein shake with fruit for breakfast. Add some greens for an extra boost.
- Try to shoot for 6-8 hours of sleep per night.
- Get a mammogram, pap smear, colonoscopy, full skin check up and a full blood work up. You will feel better knowing you did.
- Talk to a nutritionist. Get the right healthy diet that is specific for you.
- Take a new route to work. Mix it up. Enjoy the scenery.
- Connect with like-minded women and interesting people. Spend time with the people you enjoy being around. People that lift you up not bring you down.
- Tell your loved ones that you love them every day
- Look in the mirror, tell yourself, “I love you!” (Sometimes harder to do than it sounds ;-))
- Make exercise a non- negotiable. Make time to work out 4 – 5 times a week. Make sure you include weights. We lose muscle over the age of 40 and more over 50!
- Take on new and exciting opportunities
- Do what you love and love what you do!
- Learn new things that interest you. Attend conferences, workshops, read at least 1 new book per month.
- Avoid stress and drama as much as possible. Do not let someone else’s drama become yours.
- Up your water consumption. I was told the rule of thumb is to drink half your weight in ounces daily. This isn’t always easy for me but I try.
- Enjoy your journey and where you are in life in the present time.
Health is the most important thing we have. It feels good to know that we can create better health through the simple steps and actions we take each day.
- Schedule ‘me’ time. Self- care is imperative. Get a massage regularly. Enjoy your pampering time without guilt. Go out with girlfriends you can be silly around and be yourself with.
- Unplug from your cell phone and all social media whenever you can. We all need a break from everything. It will all still be there when you plug back in. I know this one is hard from personal experience but it needs to be done.
- Take a vacation just for fun at the very least once a year. Travel to try new things and to meet new and interesting people.
- Don’t spend money on things you do not need to impress people you really don’t care about. What you do with your money is your business, period.
- Spend some quiet time by the ocean. This is medicine for me.
- Not everyone is going to like you so accept it and move on.
- Most people do not have your back. There will be many that disappoint you. Stick with the few that have your back and are always there for you and distance yourself from the rest.
- Understand and appreciate your worth. Be proud of what you have done and what you are still going to accomplish. With age does come wisdom. Don’t let anyone younger try to take that away from you and never let them try to under value your worth.
Although life will always be filled with its uncertainties, the tips I shared above have given me the opportunity to experience better health, more peace, and happiness in my life. I hope some of them can help you too!
I know that by consciously implementing as many positive things as I can, I create a foundation to live the best, most energetic life possible. My intention moving into my fifties, and beyond, is to age gracefully while engaging a purpose-filled life.